Sunday 18 March 2007

Still Life

This still life piece was set up for us to work from during a painting session with Laura. We were told to paint a black and white tonal painting, using white oil paint, and a black colour consisting of a mixture of cobalt blue and burnt umber oil.


I drew out the basic shape with charcoal and then got to work identifying the darkest areas first, and then taking the darkest black I made from the two colour mixture, added small amounts of the white to produce the shade lighter...and so forth.
Here is the piece i produced from this angle....


I wanted to leave the background quite minimal as i wanted to keep the attention drawn to the 'figure' and also because I tailored my painting to have a drawn aspect to it by going over with the charcoal after I had defined the tone using the paints.

No comments: