Thursday 30 November 2006

24 Hour Psycho


The exhibition is a video of a 24 Hour run of Psycho; a slowed-down version of Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 film so it lasted a full day.
Gordon represents a different take on this classic horror and he has introduced many of the important themes in his work: recognition and repetition, time and memory, complicity and duplicity, authorship and authenticity, darkness and light.
In his own words Gordon states:
"24 Hour Psycho, as I see it, is not simply a work of appropriation. It is more like an act of affiliation... it wasn't a straightforward case of abduction. The original work is a masterpiece in its own right, and I've always loved to watch it. ... I wanted to maintain the authorship of Hitchcock so that when an audience would see my 24 Hour Psycho they would think much more about Hitchcock and much less, or not at all, about me..."

I haven't seen this video myself so i can't really pass judgement on it, but one reviewer who has seen 24 hour Psycho states:

"I have seen Psycho several times and I thought I'd instantaneously know where I was narratively but, as it turns out, film projected at 2 frames per second is quite a different experience. I was lost. I don't know how long it took me to realize that I had just missed the shower scene but I had. When I realized I'd missed the scene I felt a wave of disappointment. But what happened next was surprising to me.

Before I knew it I was in the headspace of Norman Bates himself, feeling my own wave of nausea and guilt (just as Norman does staring at what "Mother" has done), realizing that I had walked into this exhibit and even v
aguely planned the time of my arrival to see the murder. Time is a funny thing. At two frames per second I was mesmerized staring at Norman Bates who was a) moving very very slowly b) feeling guilty very very slowly c) turning off the motel lights very very slowly and d) cleaning up the bathroom very very slowly while Janet Leigh's arm hung limply and tellingly in frame. While all of this was happening very very slowly it turns out the time was flying by. Before I knew it 45 minutes had passed.
I highly recommend this exhibit. I'll be back to spend more time with the rest of it, and I'll try not to let Norma's psychosis suck me back in for another hour so that I can give the other Gordon pieces their due
"

No comments: